Check out the GERS facebook page for job listings and news about the estuaries on the Gulf Coast.
Monday, May 14, 2012
Friday, May 11, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE
Artist Boat is seeking two motivated, creative, and self-starting art and science educators with environmental backgrounds to deliver Eco-Art Workshops and Adventures to the communities of the Houston/Galveston Region.
Job Description: Primary duty is to assist Eco-Art Educators in interpretation of habitats, ecosystems, science, and the environment through the disciplines of science and art for people of all ages engaging in Eco-Art experiences with the Artist Boat. Interpreter must be able to clearly and enthusiastically:
· Be able to work with a team member who is specialist in science or art in a professional and positive manner in the field, office, and via technology;
· Present art and/or science skills and knowledge to students and adults in order to facilitate the creation of works of art interpreting the coastal margins and marine ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico in classrooms and outdoor events (kayaks, vessel, walking, and restoration);
· Master the content of the natural history of the region, species identification;
· Maintain 1st aid and CPR certification;
· Interact with persons of all ages in a positive, professional, encouraging, and informative manner;
· Lift 60 pounds, load and unload a kayak trailer, spend 8 hours outside on a regular basis;
· Clean and maintain all equipment used for programs;
· Represent the Artist Boat and the mission of the Artist Boat during events and in the community,
· Fully understand the different challenges and constraints and hard work associated with non-profit work;
· Be able to attend ACA Kayak Certification Course, dates to be determined last week of May or first week of June;
· Be able to lead classes indoors and outdoors in a manner that exemplifies place-based and experiential learning through use of hands-on and minds-on techniques in the disciplines of art and science;
· Must have completed a Bachelors of Science (marine sciences or natural resources or Fine Arts);
· Must be able to drive a standard vehicle, pass a background check, and trailer vessels;
· Be living in the region and able to start work between May 16 and May 25, 2012.
Other duties may entail:
· Driving to various sites for events in own vehicle;
· Represent Artist Boat in media (newspapers, magazines, etc).
Expectations of the job:
· Hours will be available throughout the week and weekend on an as needed bases;
· Have cell phone for use in field or emergencies;
· Arrive on time;
· Communicate effectively with supervisor;
· Submit time sheets and administrative paperwork on time;
· Reliable mode of transportation.
One to two years experience in arts, outdoors, and/or environmental education; and Bachelor of Fine Arts and/or Bachelors of Science
Starting pay: $12 - $14 an hour with possibility of permanent full time hire within 30 – 60 days
Send cover letter and resume including 3 references listed to LuAnne Ashley via United States Postal Service to
2415 Avenue K, Galveston, Texas 77550.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Summer Marine Science Program
Hawai'i Pacific University (HPU) would like to announce a new three and six week Marine Science program starting this summer 2012 open to students from all academic disciplines. Students will earn three or six credits by participating in either of our three week sessions or both. Students will acquire an in-depth knowledge of Hawai'i's unique and delicate ecosystem, as well as participate in a variety of local activities and excursions around the island.
The program fee for each three week package including airport pickup, orientation, course enrollment, academic field trips, housing, meals, activities and excursions is $3,941.
HPU is offering a special $500 discount to the first ten applicants to this summer's program!
Below you will find a link to HPU's Summer Marine Science Program brochure. Please contact them if you have any questions and would like to learn more about this unique and engaging program.
For more information, inquire at: firstname.lastname@example.org